An abandoned hospital in Italy. We visited it during our trip in August 2017.
The hospital was completed in 1937. It was one of the first psychiatric hospitals in Italy. The hospital operated until 1978. However, it was used until 1991.
The complex includes 20 pavilions. The buildings are basically the same and aligned. There is a small church in the centre that still has ruined frescoes.
One of the wards was used to treat severe cases of patients. Patients were confined in very small rooms. The remaining departments were used mainly for the rehabilitation of patients. There was also an auditorium, a theatre, a gym, a children’s corner and reception for patients’ families.